Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Do We Really Need Discussion Guides

I just returned from doing focus groups in Iqaluit. It is truly one of the most fascinating places I have ever been, and I would suggest that every Canadian take at least one trip to Canada's north.

As I was moderating two groups with Inuit population there one thing occurred to me - do we really need to have detailed discussion guides drawn-up and created for us to follow during the groups? Now sure, I know that the client needs to be reassured that their objectives will be met in the groups. I also know that moderators need reminders to cover certain aspects of the project. However, I found that every time I referred to the guide during my time in Iqaluit, participants lost interest very quickly. They much preferred me to engage them in conversation that I createdk, rather than looking at my guide as a reference.

If we are conducting qualitative research to better understand the consumer, then wouldn't it make sense to have that very same consumer lead us through the conversation and topic? While I have never moderated groups without a full discussion guide in front of me, I find that I am more relaxed as a moderator and get better results out of the groups the less I refer to a static guide. The more I am able to be spontaneous, the better the results tend to be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

25mg plendil Drug florinef 50mg zoloft Free pills ultram Low price mentax 50mg florinef

Anonymous said...

So..... where is toilet? Hehe))) Joke, relax ;)
Thanks

شركه كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام said...

اجهزة كشف تسربات المياه بالقطيف
شركة كشف تسربات المواسير بالقطيف
شركة صيانة تسربات المياه بالقطيف